The Esthetic Clinics, Mumbai India have been deeply involved in the various research areas pertaining to various aspects of facial and reconstructive plastic surgery. Dr. Debraj Shome and his team believes in encouraging doctors in the same field from all over the world to discover and experiment on new techniques, methods and solutions for various problems pertaining to the vast field of plastic surgery. Dr. Debraj Shome understands that research is a continuous process in order to make treatments successful and very effective for the patients. Researches done by The Esthetic Clinics also aims to determine various causes and effects of various types of carcinomas. Various topics of research also have the purpose of making various surgical and non-surgical processes safer, smoother and with less operative/ administrative and recovery time.
Some of the Research Interests pursued by The Esthetic Clinics Include
- Carboplatin loaded polymethylmethacrylate nano-particles in an adjunctive role in retinoblastoma: an animal trial:
The purpose of this study is to device a system for the treatment of advanced intra-ocular Retinoblastoma. This is a condition in which it is diagnosed that the cancer is still with in eye. Dr. Shome and his team have successfully conducted an animal trial which have given a promising hope for treatment for humans.
- Fungal keratitis with the type 1 Boston keratoprosthesis: early Indian experience.
In keratoprosthesis patient’s cornea is resected and replaced with a donor corneal graft fungal infections are common in this procedure. This research aims to analyse the early results of the same surgery. It was found that in Indian conditions fungal Infections especially because of the use of topical corticosteroids and broad spectrum antibiotics are a high risk chances. Therefore KPro in such conditions should be closely monitored.
- Facial rejuvenation after intradermal botulinum toxin: is it really the botulinum toxin or is it the pricks?
This research explored the use of botulinum toxin A for the use of facial skin rejuvenation. Ten physicians were selected as the subject of the study. Although there was in improvement in the skin texture and tightness however between those who are injected with the toxin and those who were not there was no noticeable different noted. Hence it was concluded that botulinum toxin A did not have any effect in facial rejuvenation.
- Eyelid carcinoma in patients with systemic lymphoma
This research was done with five patients (one female and four male) who were on various stages of eyelid carcinoma. It was deducted that aggressive carcinoma can cause systemic lymphoma. Adjuvant radiation therapy is recommended to decrease the recurrence of the same.
Some other research topics include
- Implant and Prosthesis Movement after Enucleation A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Recalcitrant fungal tunnel infection treated with intrastromal injection of voriconazole.
- Aspergillus keratitis in vernal shield ulcer-a case report and review.
- Does a Nano molecule of carboplatin injected periocularly help in attaining higher intravitreal concentrations?
- Descemet’s stripping endothelial keratoplasty: is it an option for congenital hereditary endothelial dystrophy?
- Fungal keratitis associated with ocular rosacea.
- Evaluation of safety and efficacy of topical prostaglandin E2 in treatment of vitiligo.
- Aspergillus iris granuloma: a case report with review of literature.
- Targeted monoclonal antibody therapy and radio immunotherapy for lymphoproliferative disorders of the ocular adnexa.
- Orbital tuberculosis: a review of the literature.
- Surgically induced necrotizing scleritis after pterygium surgery with conjunctival autograft.
- Community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CAMRSA)–a rare cause of fulminant orbital cellulitis.
- Periocular necrotizing fasciitis associated with kerato-conjunctivitis and treated with medical management: a case report.
- Evirapine-induced Stevens-Johnson syndrome in an HIV patient.
- Management of an irradiated anophthalmic socket following dermis-fat graft rejection: a case report.
- Isolated upper eyelid retraction: a sign of idiopathic inflammatory orbital disease.
- Ulcerative keratitis in gastrointestinal stromal tumour patients treated with perifosine.