Deviated septum correction is a common problem and septoplasty in India has provided relief to main people from various cosmetic and aesthetic issues. Since the nose is at the central position of the face, its shape and size have a considerable impact on one’s self-image and confidence. Also, the function importance of nose cannot be denied. If anything goes wrong with it, even during the daily tasks can be difficult.
Most people who are not happy with their nose feel self-conscious about it. This is why nose-related cosmetic procedures, such as like rhinoplasty and septoplasty in India to correct the defects in nose and lead a better life. Septoplasty is done to correct the deviated or crooked septum.
What is the Septum and what does it do?
The septum is the thin wall in the nose that divides the nasal cavity in left and right sides. It has several important functions such as
- Provides Support and Structure to the nose: The nasal septum provides structural support to the nose, helping to maintain its shape and stability. Without the septum the nostrils will collapse.
- Helps in Airflow Regulation: It plays a crucial role in regulating the airflow through the nasal passages. Since it divides the nasal cavity into two separate passages, it ensures that the air you breathe in through your nostrils is evenly distributed and the flow is controlled, which aids in efficient respiration and olfaction (sense of smell).
- It protects the Airway: The nasal septum acts as a barrier, helping to protect the delicate structures within the nasal cavity from potential trauma or injury to ensure that even in an event of a light impact or injury the breathing is not obstructed
- Moisture and Humidification: As the air passes through the nasal cavity, the septum contributes to the moisture and humidification of the inhaled air, making it more suitable for the respiratory system.
The septum is made up of bone and cartilage. In an average adult it is about 2.5 to 3 inches long. The front part of the septum is essentially made of cartilage and it is responsible for the flexibility of the septum so that it can bed and adapt to pressure without looking its functionality.
The back of the septum is made of bone and its primary job is to ensure stability and support to the nasal septum. The combination of cartilage and bone give the deviates septum its shape and ensures good functionality.
What arises the need for Septoplasty?
Best septoplasty surgeon in India recommends a septoplasty when the deviated septum is crooked or bent instead of straight as it ideally should be. Some people are born with deviated septum but it can also change its shape in cases of trauma or injury. A deviated septum occurs when the nasal septum is not cantered properly, causing it to be shifted to one side of the nasal cavity. While a deviated septum can lead to various health issues, it can also cause cosmetic concerns, including:Top of Form
- Severe breathing issues
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Recurring and chronic sinus infections
- Nasal congestions
- Asymmetrical appears of the nose as the deviated septum makes the nose appear crooked or asymmetrical in the front view.
- Gives visible bumps or dents on the outside of the nose making the nose contour appear asymmetrical
- Uneven nostril size making one nostril appear bigger, differently shaped or have more flare than the other. Leading to an imbalanced look of the face
- Tip asymmetry in few cases because of the positioning of the septum
The nose plays a significant role in facial harmony, and a deviated septum can impact the overall symmetry of the face.
It’s essential to note that cosmetic issues related to a deviated septum are often more noticeable when the deviation is severe. Mild deviations may not lead to noticeable cosmetic concerns, but they can still cause functional problems, such as difficulty breathing through one or both nostrils.
On diagnosis the septoplasty surgeon in India can recommend medications and immunotherapy for management of symptoms but it is only the surgical septoplasty than can get long term relief from the issues of deviated septum.
What does septoplasty do?
Septoplasty in India a surgical procedure in which the surgeon straightens the deviated septum to resolve the breathing, sinus and cosmetic issues with the nose. If someone is experiencing cosmetic issues related to a deviated septum and it is affecting their self-esteem or confidence, they may consider consulting with a best septoplasty surgeon in India or otolaryngologist (ear, nose, and throat specialist) to discuss potential treatment options.
Best septoplasty surgeon in India might recommend septoplasty and rhinoplasty to address both functional and cosmetic concerns. However, it’s crucial for the individual to have a thorough evaluation and discussion with the medical professional to determine the best course of action based on their specific situation and goals.
What are the septs of septoplasty surgery?
Septoplasty in India corrects crookedness and deviation in the nasal septum. The primary goal of septoplasty is to improve nasal function and airflow It is mostly an outpatient procedure and the patient is usually discharged in day post-surgery. The incisions are made inside the nose and the septal cartilage is repositions and bone straightened for septal correction. Here are the steps to septoplasty in India
- Septoplasty is usually performed under general anaesthesia or local anaesthesia with sedation. The choice of anaesthesia depends on the complexity of the surgery and the surgeon’s preference. This ensures that the patient does not move during the procedure.
- The surgeon makes an incision on one side of the nasal cavity to access the septum. The incision is made on the inside of the nose, so there are no visible external scars.
- The mucous membrane that covers the septum is gently lifted and separated from the underlying cartilage and bone. This allows the surgeon to access the deviated septum.
- Once the surgeon has access to the deviated septum, he will reshape or reposition the bones and cartilage of the septum. If the deviation is in excess then the surgeon might need to trip the cartilage and/or remove the excess bones.
- If there are any perforations (holes) in the septum, then the surgeon will also repair them during the procedure to restore the integrity of the septum for the future.
- After the necessary corrections are made, the mucous membrane is repositioned and sutured back into place to cover the septum. The sinus is drained to remove the congestion. The incisions inside the nose are closed with dissolvable stitches.
- If necessary, the surgeon may place dissolvable packing inside the nose to support the healing tissues and reduce bleeding. External nasal splints may also be used to help maintain the shape of the nose during the initial healing period. These are very crucial in ensure that the healing is correct and as desired.
Best septoplasty surgeon in India will provide the patient with postoperative instructions to promote faster healing and reduce the discomfort. Septoplasty is considered a safe and effective procedure for correcting a deviated septum and improving nasal function. While complications are rare, like with any surgery, potential risks include bleeding, infection, scarring, and changes in the appearance of the nose. It’s essential for patients to follow their surgeon’s postoperative instructions carefully and attend all follow-up appointments to ensure a successful recovery.
Septoplasty is a simple procedure and the cost of septoplasty in India depends on many factors such as the medical condition of the patient, the severity or complexity of deviation, the surgical expertise of the septoplasty surgeon etc. When discussing septoplasty cost in Mumbai it is important to get a clarity from the surgeon and the clinic. The general parameters that help calculate the cost of a septoplasty include
- Consultation and diagnostic tests
- The fees of the septoplasty surgeon which varies on the basis of experience, expertise and location of the surgeon.
- Cost of hospital stay if the patient is kept under observation
- Cost of medications, bandages etc
- Post- surgery follow up sessions
- Insurance coverage
- Cost of medications
- Post-surgery follow up sessions
- Insurance coverage
Septoplasty in India is a modern procedure. septoplasty cost in India can vary from anywhere between 55000 to 65000 Indian rupees. Some insurance plans offer partial or full coverage for septoplasty for functional reasons which will considerably cut down the septoplasty cost in India. You can talk to the clinic about the coverages and inclusions and septoplasty cost in Mumbai. Make sure to inquire about all the costs involved, including surgeon’s fees, anaesthesia charges, hospital or clinic fees, post-operative care costs, and any potential additional expenses. It’s also essential to understand the terms of payment and any available financing options if needed for septoplasty cost in Mumbai.
FAQs about Septoplasty
1. How long does septoplasty surgery last?
If it is septoplasty alone then it can take about 30 to 90 minutes to complete. This varies with the complexity of the nasal deviation and the expertise of the surgeon.
2. Is the surgery painful?
Since the procedure is under anaesthesia, you might feel a might discomfort post the surgery as the effects wears off. But this can be easily managed with painkillers for a few days.
3. What changes will I see post septoplasty surgery?
You will notice many changes after septoplasty such as
- Improved breathing
- Relief from sinus issues
- Better sleep quality
- Relief from nasal congestions
- Improvement in senses
- Reduce number of headaches.
There are hardly any visible incisions post the surgery and minimal blood loss means faster recovery.
4. Can I have septoplasty and rhinoplasty together?
Rhinoplasty is done to enhance the appearance of the nose and reduce the functional issues. On the other hand, septoplasty cures the septum deviation and nasal congestion. Septorhinoplasty is a common procedure that can be done in one surgery to correct the septum deviation, reduce the hump in bridge or modify the shape of the tip. Septoplasty does not change the shape of the nose.
5. If I have not got any relief from the first surgery, can I get a revision septoplasty?
Yes, revision septoplasty is possible if you have not gotten much relief from the first one. If the nasal congestion continues then the surgeon might recommend further corrections. However repeated septoplasty can lead to an increase the risk of infections, weakening of the cartilage and even undesired repositioning. Bottom of Form
6. How to know if I have deviated septum?
You know if you have deviated septum, if you have been facial frequent nosebleeds, you feel obstructions in one or both nostrils, have frequent sinus infections, feeling facial pain and snoring complaint from friends and families. A visit to the septoplasty surgeon will help in correct diagnosis and treatment.