Rhinoplasty is a form of plastic and cosmetic surgery and therefore consultation with the correct surgeon before Rhinoplasty is very important. Rhinoplasty is also commonly known as the nose job and plays an important role in altering the impression of the face. Rhinoplasty consultation covers wide range topics which the patient needs to understand in depth as it is the first step in your getting the kind of nose you want without having to comprise with the ethnic look of your facial features and basic necessary functions of the nose (breathing).
A Rhinoplasty consultation is a face to face talk between the surgeon and the patient. Avoid doing it over the phone because it does not give the clear picture of the results of the procedure. Before you go in for Rhinoplasty consultation makes sure that you collect the following things to take with you:
- Your past and present medical history
- Photos of what you expect your nose to look like
- If you can examine and measure your face so that surgeon’s recommendations are easy for you to understand.
What to Ask and note in the consultation of Rhinoplasty
Your Rhinoplasty consultation is very important for the whole process of Rhinoplasty therefore feel free to ask as many questions as you want and clear up all your doubts.
The first step is to get to know your surgeon: The first step in the consultation is to get to know your surgeon well. He or she will be your friend in the whole procedure. Do not hesitate in asking the surgeon about their experience and credentials. You can even ask for testimonials. Any good surgeon will be ready to share patient’s testimonials with you. Discuss with him about the Rhinoplasties he or she has performed and what has been the success rate and revision rates. Once you are satisfied then it is time to move on to the next step.
Is Rhinoplasty for you? The next important point to discuss with your surgeon is whether Rhinoplasty is for you. It is one thing to want a nose job and totally another to understand if you need it. The surgeon has to understand your ethnicity and the change Rhinoplasty can bring while preserving the same. Also the surgeon will closely examine your medical history and present condition to determine your candidature for Rhinoplasty. Secondly the surgeon will physically examine your nose and to know what changes are needed in Rhinoplasty. During consultation if you drink or smoke then you should tell the surgeon about these habits. Ask the surgeon about:
- The shape of your nose and the changes that can be made
- If you need functional Rhinoplasty then what will be the process for it
- Can the surgeon show you the after nose job photos using computer processing so that you get a realistic picture
- How much time will it take for the surgery: This is very important because you will need to plan the pre and post-operative surgery time for yourself like take leave from work or call friends and relatives to accompany you.
- What will be recovery period: Every nose has got a different recovery period. For example the Caucasian noses heal quickly whereas Indian noses take some time to heal. Also the recovery period will depend on the amount of work done on your nose. If there are single or multiple incision or if there have been grafts used then the recovery period will
- What kind of Rhinoplasty will the surgeon do: Ask during the consultation whether the Rhinoplasty will be open or closed surgery? Understand in detail about the implications of each.
- What kind of anaesthesia will the surgeon use will also help in determining the recovery period.
When can you resume normal activity: If is important to ask the surgeon during Rhinoplasty consultation how soon you can resume normal activity post the surgery and for how long you will have to wear the cast on the nose and take other precautions and medications.
Last but not the least, discuss the cost of Rhinoplasty during the consultations. Understand whether your insurance will cover the costs or not. Get a clear breakup of the cost for the surgery and before and after consultations for Rhinoplasty too. Simple precautions in the Rhinoplasty consultation can ensure a successful surgery and happy results.