A deviated septum occurs when the cartilage wall dividing the two sides of the nose is off centre. The septum is a very thing wall but its askew placement can lead to many symptoms ranging from mild to more pronounced. If you too have been feeling any of the following then the chances are you are suffering from deviated septum
- Nasal Congestion: One of the primary symptoms of a deviated septum is chronic nasal congestion or blockage. The deviation can restrict airflow through one or both nostrils, making it difficult to breathe properly.
- Difficulty in Breathing: Due to the narrowed nasal passages caused by a deviated septum, individuals may experience difficulty breathing, particularly through the affected side of the nose. This can lead to mouth breathing and contribute to dry mouth and throat. Many people with deviated septum face difficulty in
- Frequent Sinus Infections: A deviated septum can impede proper drainage of the sinuses, leading to recurring sinus infections. The blocked nasal passages create an environment conducive to bacterial growth, resulting in symptoms such as facial pain, pressure, postnasal drip, and headaches.
- Snoring and Sleep Apnea: The obstruction of airflow caused by a deviated septum can lead to snoring and potentially contribute to the development or exacerbation of sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep.
- Nosebleeds: The irregular airflow and dryness caused by a deviated septum can make the nasal tissues more prone to drying out and becoming fragile, increasing the risk of nosebleeds.
- Headaches: Chronic headaches, particularly those associated with sinus pressure, may occur as a result of a deviated septum. The blockage and impaired drainage can lead to increased sinus pressure and inflammation, triggering headaches.
- Facial Pain: The chronic inflammation and pressure caused by a deviated septum can result in facial pain, particularly around the nasal area and cheeks.
- Postnasal Drip: The imbalance in nasal airflow caused by a deviated septum can lead to excessive mucus production and a sensation of mucus dripping down the throat. This is known as postnasal drip and can cause throat irritation, coughing, and a persistent need to clear the throat.
Not everybody experiences the deviated septum symptoms. Some go through the life without any noticeable effects on breathing or overall health. If you suspect a deviated septum to be the reason of any of the above mentioned symptoms then it is time to seek the deviated septum treatment by the best deviated septum surgeon.
It is recommended to consult with a qualified healthcare professional for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment options during the nose job consultation.
Best rhinoplasty surgeon in Mumbai who are training in diagnosing and treating conditions related to nose will be able to evaluate the symptoms, do a physical examination and recommend the right type of surgery for deviated septum correction.
Since it is an invasive surgical procedure, you want only the best deviated septum surgeon to do the procedure for the best results which last for a long time. Good surgeons will ensure that the scarring is minimal, and the nose shape remains in its natural form. Researching and finding the best deviated septum surgeon will also save you on the secondary rhinoplasty for deviated septum surgery cost India. But then the question arises how does one find the best rhinoplasty surgeon in Mumbai? Here are some factors that will help you chose the best nose surgeon for your needs.
Start by asking your primary care physician, friends, family members, or acquaintances if they have had a positive experience with a deviated septum surgeon. Personal recommendations can provide valuable insights and help you create a shortlist of potential surgeons and save you a lot of time too.
Research Surgeon Credentials
Once you have a list of potential surgeons, start by research in their credentials and qualifications. Look for surgeons who are board-certified in otolaryngology (ear, nose, and throat specialty) or plastic surgery. Board certification indicates that the surgeon has undergone rigorous training and has met the required standards in their field. You can check the surgeon’s credentials and board certification status through online directories or medical board websites. You can also ask about their training and experience with the previous patients. Best deviated septum surgeons are happy to share patient details for references. Online reviews will also help you further narrow down your search. Professional memberships are another criterion for checking the credentials of the surgeon. Memberships denote the qualification and experience of the rhinoplasty or septoplasty surgeon.
Review Surgeon’s Experience
Assess the surgeon’s experience in performing deviated septum surgeries. Look for surgeons who specialize in nasal and sinus procedures and have a significant amount of experience specifically in septoplasty. Consider how long they have been practicing, the number of deviated septum surgeries they have performed, and any additional training or expertise they may have in the field. It is important that the surgeon understands the specific ethnicity, skin type and deviated septum correction options to give results that best suit your needs. The more experience the surgeon has in your specific problem then better is the outcome of the surgery.
Hospital and clinic Affiliations
Consider the hospitals or surgical facilities where the surgeon performs their procedures. Look for reputable institutions with a focus on ear, nose, and throat (ENT) or nasal surgeries. Hospitals with a strong reputation for providing high-quality care and safety standards are generally preferable. This is an important factor in finalizing the deviated septum surgeon for your treatment. This information is easy to get and by will give you a fair idea about the quality of care that you will be getting, the resources the doctor has at his disposal and the locations where you can get the treatment. If the facility is far from your residence, then it may be difficult to go in for regular follow-ups and you will have to bear the additional expenses of travelling and stay that will increase the deviated septum surgery cost India. Ensure that the surgeon and the surgical facility prioritize patient safety. Inquire about the accreditation of the facility, the presence of qualified anaesthesiologists, and the availability of emergency equipment. A safe and well-equipped facility is crucial for a successful surgery and optimal post-operative care.
Consultation and Communication
Schedule nose job consultations with the surgeons you are considering. This will allow you to meet them in person, ask questions, and evaluate their communication style. A good surgeon will listen to you attentively, address your concerns, explain the procedure and potential risks, and make you feel comfortable and confident. Assess how well they explain complex medical concepts in a way that you can understand. If you and the surgeon can understand each other and communicate effectively then it will be easier for you to understand the treatment. Ask questions during the nose job consultation such as
- Why is this procedure necessary for me
- What are the risks and complications
- Do I need other procedures with it
- How long is the recovery and what should I expect during the process
- What is the success rate and long term results
- Is there an alternate treatment to try
- Will I be able to do normal activities post the surgery
Ask About Surgical Techniques
Inquire about the surgical techniques (open or closed rhinoplasty) the surgeon uses for deviated septum correction. A skilled surgeon should be well-versed in various approaches, including endoscopic techniques, and should tailor the procedure to your specific condition. They should be able to explain the pros and cons of each technique and discuss the most appropriate approach for your situation.
Cost and Insurance Coverage
Consider the deviated septum surgery cost India and your insurance coverage. While cost alone should not be the primary factor in choosing a surgeon, it is essential to understand the financial aspect. Inquire about the total cost of the procedure, including surgeon fees, anaesthesia fees, facility fees, and any additional costs. Confirm whether your insurance plan covers the surgery and what portion you would be responsible for.
Seek Second Opinions
Don’t hesitate to seek second opinions from different surgeons. This can provide you with additional perspectives, help you gain more knowledge about your condition, and assist in making an informed decision. Consulting multiple experts can also help you compare recommendations, surgical techniques, and potential outcomes.
Lastly, trust your instincts. Choose a surgeon with whom you feel comfortable and confident. The surgeon-patient relationship is crucial for successful outcomes, and you should have trust in their expertise