Rhinoplasty or nose surgery or nose jobs are a type of plastic surgery that changes the shape, structure, contour, and size of the nose. There are many different reasons that people have nose jobs and they can be classified into two parts
- Cosmetic rhinoplasty is done to change or improve how the nose or facial profile looks. Cosmetic rhinoplasty can be done through surgical and nonsurgical methods.
- Functional rhinoplasty which is performed to correct the breathing and nasal function and can be done only through a surgical method.
Rhinoplasty is the most commonly performed plastic surgery around the world and it is a very safe and effective procedure. A simple procedure changes the way the rest of your face appears and these minor/major changes in the nose bring together the facial features in perfect harmony. What can the rhinoplasty do for you
- Correct birth defects
- Dramatically improve your appearance
- Repair a fractured nose
- Open blocked nasal package
- Restore breathing functions that have been hampered by injuries, burns, or treatments like cancer.
If you too are thinking of getting a nose job because you are unhappy with the size and shape of your nose or if you need a functional correction then it is important to know about different types of nose surgery.
Different types of nose jobs
The type of nose surgery suitable for an individual depends on him and the technique the surgeon deems most fit. The Patient’s anatomy and the expected results play an important role in dictating the approach. Nose jobs are classified into various types based on the approach that the surgeon takes, and the problem that needs to be targeted.
On the bases of the surgical approach, the types of nasal surgeries include
- Open rhinoplasty: In this type of surgery, the incisions are made on the outside of the nostrils to get access to the inside. This type of nose surgery gives the surgeon the freedom to the entire nasal structure and to reshape the nose easily. This type of open rhinoplasty is usually preferred when extensive work is to be done for the patient. Or for patients who have a number of nasal issues such as structural deformities or collapsed valves from a previous rhinoplasty. The incisions are barely noticeable and there is very little visible scarring.
- Closed rhinoplasty: This is a more popular option than closed rhinoplasty as all the incisions are made inside the nose and nothing is visible outside. There is a low chance of complicated swelling or edema post this procedure. This rhinoplasty is suitable when the structural changes are small.
- Filler rhinoplasty: This is the non-invasive way to a nose job. Fillers are used to reshape the nose to a more symmetrical and balanced form. There is no suture or pain or downtime in this procedure. However, this is a temporary option for a nose job and this type of nose surgery cannot decrease the size of the nose. This type of nasal surgery is suitable for people who only want to correct minor imperfections in their nasal region and do not want to opt for a permanent change.
Different kinds of nose jobs based on cosmetic or functional concerns:
- Reduction Rhinoplasty: This type of nose surgery is done to reduce the size of the nose. The surgeon can do this in the open or closed method. The surgeon can reduce the overall size of the nose or work on the areas that are bothering you such as a tip, a hump, a dip, and more. This is an invasive surgery and is done by removing the cartilage or bone to get the expected size and shape of the nose. The skin is not trimmed because it will mold to the new size and shrink naturally.
- Augmentation rhinoplasty: This type of nose surgery is done to improve the proportions of the nose. This can be done through a surgical method or as a liquid rhinoplasty. This type of nose job can alter small noses and repair cartilage damage. Augmentation improves the shape of the nose and adjusts the features such as building up the nasal tip and/or the nasal bridge. For augmentation surgery, the surgeon uses a rib or ear graft. Liquid rhinoplasty uses fillers to augment the nose.
- Post-traumatic rhinoplasty: The nose is a delete structure and even small injuries can alter the shape of the nose or effect its functionality. When an injury or trauma happens to the nose there can be many effects of it such as broken bones, damage to the cartilage (or septal hematoma), asymmetry, visible changes to the nose, internal deviations, nasal bridge collapse causing a boxer nose or saddle nose and even breathing issues. This type of nose operation is done to bring the nose back to the original shape and appearance.
- Reconstructive rhinoplasty: Sometimes treatments like cancer or a facial trauma or an illness can seriously disfigure the nose because of lack of tissue or crushed bones and cause medical issues. Reconstructive nose surgery is done to restore the nose to its previous state following this, Reconstructive rhinoplasty is done in multiple surgeries and it might take many months to get the results.
- Refinement rhinoplasty: As the name suggests this is one of the different kinds of nose job which is done for pure cosmetic reasons. The most common is tip refinement and it is one of the highly individualized nose surgery procedures and has to be designed by keeping the facial characteristics in mind. This type of nasal surgery is done to make changes in the tip of the nose. Tip plasty can reduce the bulbous tip, restore the droopy tip etc. tip plasty can be done as an open surgery or a closed rhinoplasty.
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty: Each culture has a different facial feature and the nose, eyes, and even lip shapes differ. This type of nose surgery is done to bring symmetry and aesthetics to the nose by keeping the ethic characteristics of the patient in mind.
- Revision rhinoplasty or corrective rhinoplasty: Some times the primary rhinoplasty does not give the desired results or the patient is not careful enough during the recovery and the nasal functions and shape do not turn out the way it should be. Revision rhinoplasty is done to correct the problems with the previous surgery. The common issues that the corrective rhinoplasty can address are
- Obstruction in the nasal region
- An overdone previous nose job
- Worsened asymmetry
- Not enough cosmetic change to show the correct shape
- Incorrect tip projection
- Scar tissue formation
- Improper bridge height such as over reduction and incomplete reduction
- Septoplasty: This is a type of nasal surgery that is done to fix the deviated septum. The septum is the important part of the nose and is made of bone and cartilage and divides the two nostrils. When the septum moves to one side of the nose and affect the breathing. Septum deviation can happen at birth or because of an injury to the nose. The cosmetic surgeon can use a donor rib cartilage to stabilize the nasal tip and still maintain the external shape of the nose.
- Turbinoplasty: Turbinates are small shell-like structures along the wall of the nose and they normally don’t hamper the function of the nose and their primary function is to cleanse and humidify the air as it passes through the nostrils. But in case of swelling, they can obstruct the breathing. This triggers for this swelling include allergies, infections and cause irritation etc. Trubinoplasty is done to reduce the size of the enlarged structures and give relief to the patient.
- Alarplasty: This surgery is done to correct the shape of the alar i.e. the sides of the nose at the bottom. It is done by reshaping the nose structure to improve the balance at the base and improving harmony with other nasal parts.
- Polypectomy: This type of nose job surgery aims to remove the nose polyps. The polyps are swelling on the nose lining that can cause severe nasal obstruction and reduced sense of smell. This is an invasive surgery and needs proper recovery time.
The types of nose surgery cost
Different kinds of nose jobs have different costs. The cost of nose surgery depends on many factors such as the type of nose surgery, the expectations of the patient, the skin type, and the surgeon’s expertise. The doctor can together combine different types of nose surgeries to address all the concerns of the individual.