Non-surgical nose job: Procedure and results
You have probably never heard anybody say what a beautiful nose you have but the truth is that the shape and size of the nose play a very important role in facial aesthetics. The everyday social media interaction we do brings about beautiful proportioned faces everywhere and it has made the non-surgical nose job or the liquid rhinoplasty or the lunchtime nose job a very popular cosmetic surgery for everybody.
While the opinion of a beautiful nose differs across various cultures, the general consensus is that balance proportion, and symmetry is what make the nose perfect or beautiful. As humans, symmetry is something that we all appreciate and are attracted to and this is what is the aim of a liquid rhinoplasty. The ideal nasal width of a person is equal to the width of a person’s eyes and in the same way, vertical symmetry of the face is achieved when the nose is in the middle third of the face.
This is not a replacement for permanent rhinoplasty but a very viable option for those who do want to or cannot afford to have a permanent nose job but still want to alter the shape of the nose for better aesthetics. Many use a liquid rhinoplasty as a prelude to permanent surgery to see what changes it can make. One of the biggest advantages of liquid rhinoplasty is that it can be reversed if you don’t like the results. Most men and women opt for a non-surgical nose job because they are dissatisfied with the appearance of their nose for a long time such as the bulbous tip, dorsal hump, or low radix of the nose. There are no cuts, grafts, or scars in liquid nose jobs. Non-surgical rhinoplasty can also be used to improve nose function by securing the nasal valves.
Non-surgical nose job is also referred to as non-surgical nose reshaping and it can make mild to moderate alterations to the patient’s nose shape. A liquid nose reshaping uses two main procedures, namely:
- Dermal fillers
- Nasal threads
Gone are the days when fillers were used to be made of wax and silicon which gave an unnatural appearance to the nose. Modern fillers are made of safe materials that are precise in nature and mold the existing structure to give the most natural-looking results. Similarly, the threads are made of safe and absorbable materials like polydioxanone (PDO) which have a low risk of allergies and inflammation. Liquid rhinoplasty is a pain-free procedure and gives immediate results.
What can a non-surgical nose job help you with?
A liquid nose job cannot alter the structure of the nose but it can greatly improve the appearance of the nose by
- Correcting the nasal hump or the dorsal hump: The hump is present at the bridge of the nose and looks like a camel back hump when looked at from the side. Fillers are injected in the sides of the hump to even it out and make the nose look straighter.
- Right the droopy nasal tip: Both filler and nasal threads can be used to correct the droopy nasal tip by lifting it. The result is a comfortable side profile and a younger appearance to the face.
- Correcting nose symmetry
- Correcting the angular shape and improving nasal proportions. This treatment smooths the sharp angles in the nose giving the entire face a softer appearance.
- Rectifying the nasal sidewall depression
- Enhancing the retracted maxilla lateral to the pyriform aperture. This corrects the pear-shaped look
- Fillers are used for a liquid nose job to elevate the saddle nose deformity caused because of a failed previous rhinoplasty
- Correcting nasal birth defects
- Correct problems caused because of traumatic injuries
- Acting as a filler for nose contouring post-primary rhinoplasty.
Advantages of nonsurgical nose contouring
Liquid nose contouring has the obvious advantage of no surgery but there are other major benefits too such as
- The treatment takes less than an hour and hence the name lunchtime nose job.
- There is no downtime and you can go back to normal work in a few hours
- The changes are small like maybe a millimeter or two but their impact is noticeable and can be seen immediately
- In the case of filler, the changes can be reversed. If threads are used then they dissolve in a year.
- No post-surgery complications such as scaring, incision infections etc.
Non-surgical nose job: Procedure
The entire procedure does not take more than your lunchtime. Fillers can be injected in any part of the nose such as the bridge, tip, and side. Threads on the other hand are not suitable for correcting the dorsal hump. Most cosmetic surgeons use a combination of fillers and threads to give the desired symmetry and balance to the nose with respect to the face.
Non-surgical nose job cannot alter the bone shape or make the nose smaller but it can add volume to the nose, enhance the tip and straighten the slight crookedness of the nose. In the pre-procedure consultation, your cosmetic surgeon will explain everything to you and discuss your concerns and expectations regarding nose augmentation. The surgeon will also test your skin to check the skin laxity. Once you and the surgeon are on the same page then the next step is to check the medical history. Liquid nose contouring is not suitable for
- Breastfeeding or lactating women
- People who have thin skin or sun-damaged skin
- People who have had radiation treatments to the nose
- Patients with chronic medical conditions
- Allergy to fillers or suture materials
- Inflammation and allergy in the treatment area.
Once everything is satisfactory you and the surgeon will decide on a mutually convenient time and date for the procedure. On the day of the procedure
- Eat a meal before going in
- Don’t apply makeup on the treatment area
- The surgeon will clean the area and apply a numbing cream or inject a numbing agent in the nose and wait for it to take effect.
- In the meantime, the cosmetic surgeon will mark the area on the nose for injecting fillers or threads
- Then using small injections, the surgeon will carefully inject the filler in the nose or use a cannula-type syringe to insert and anchor the treads under the skin.
- The doctor will then gently press the area where fillers are injected so that they adapt well.
- If both fillers and threads are used then the cosmetic surgeon will first anchor the threads and then inject the fillers immediately.
- The cosmetic surgeon will ask you to wait for a few minutes post the procedure and then you can go home.
The most commonly used dermal fillers are Juvéderm which is a cross-linked hyaluronic acid filler and comes in the form of a gel. This is the preferred filler because it is soft and reversible. The areas where fillers and threads are to be placed depend on your goals. In some cases, multiple threads need to be injected over several sessions to get the desired effect.
Nonsurgical rhinoplasty results
You will notice an immediate change or difference in your facial profile. There can be some redness or bruising on the nose but this will not hamper your regular activities. The results of a liquid nose contouring will continue to improve over the next few months and last comfortably from anywhere between 9-14 months depending on the material used and your skin type. Nasal threads create small injuries under the skin which trigger the body’s natural healing response. This improves collagen production and you might see some permanent filling in some areas.
Get your selfie camera ready because in 1 or 2 days post the procedure, once the swelling goes down, you will be able to see a marked change in your facial profile as desired. However, you should not try and touch and press the treated site and let it heal naturally.
If you have unbearable pain or notice any undue redness, bruising or blue skin then contact your cosmetic surgeon immediately.
Nonsurgical nose job cost
The cost of liquid rhinoplasty is lower than that of surgical rhinoplasty. A nose filler cost is dependent on the amount of filler used, the surgeon’s feel, and the facilities used. The type of nose filler also affects the nose filler procedure cost. Thread rhinoplasties are differently priced than nose filler liquid nose jobs and their price depends on the number the threads and the sessions needed.